Saturday 7 May 2011

Aleph 30

One of the projects that has been sitting on the shelf for some time has been the Aleph 30. I originally got the PCB from Chipamps about two years ago, and got most of the parts a year ago. Recently, due to my interest in the F4 amp, I decided it was time to finish this project sooner, rather than later. To that end, I purchased a Torodial transformer from Tortech, a 300VA dual 18V type. The only parts needed to complete this is a chassis and the heatsinks.

Regarding the heat sink issue, I have been exploring various options in my mind. Using the standard off the shelf heat sinks from someone like a Conrad Heatsink. Another option floating around is using heavy weight structural steel sections. I was thinking a 380PFC section cut to around 300mm in length. This would also form part of the top chassis. It weighs around 55.2 kg per meter, so a 300mm section would weight about 16.56 kg. Plenty of mild steel mass to sink the heat. But not sure if this would be a good thermal solution. More experimentation to come.



For those who are unfamiliar with a 380PFC, it is a parallel flange section of structural steel, much like a channel. It is 380mm in depth and comes in 6, 9 and 12 meter stock lengths in Australia. Because of my work, I can easily access these kinds of sections and in any length. It could make a wonderful, or disastrous solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment