After some more reading, and some more research, passive EQ seems for me the ideal option. With this decided, the choices then boil down to either a one stage RIAA equalisation or a split EQ. Having read some information regarding the Tango EQ-600 LCR RIAA equalisation 'unit', I become interested. This was short lived as I discovered they are no longer produced. However, upon further seraching, I have discovered two current manufacturer/supplier of a LCR RIAA EQ unit. One from Silk (which can be found from DIY Hifi Supply (bottom of page)) and the other from Acoustic Dimension. Both are reasonably costly (in the US$470, and Euro 420, respectively). More to follow.
Wednesday, 25 June 2008
After some debate, and conversations with a few different hifi store vendors, the conclusion was reached, a Rega P3 with an Ortofon 2m Black cartridge. My original turntable choice, was a Project RPM5, but given the cost of that, with an Ortofon 2M Red was already AU$1100, the P3 with Black at AU$1500 was not too much of a stretch. The unit should be fully set up and arriving with a week or so. This is quite exciting.
Meanwhile, I have begun shopping at local Salvation Army, etc stores looking for old LP. Gound a great range of classical music in very good condition. Found one or two 'modern' LP, the rest of the usual Irish Greatish Hits, Scores from Scotland, Nana Mouskouri, Barry Croker, etc. Prices were typically $1 per LP, but I found one store that was selling them at $0.50 per LP, with a much larger selection then most.
Time to start purchasing the cleaning kits, replacement inner sleeves, etc. Fun times ahead!
Sunday, 15 June 2008
Wednesday, 11 June 2008
Thursday, 5 June 2008
Monday, 2 June 2008
Sunday, 1 June 2008
- Completed timber chassis for the Uniamp. With one amp fully wire and connected, had problems with the fuse being blown every time. I suspect this may be due to the powre transformer not being rated for 240V, even though I specifically requested a 240V primary. Had not had the chance to fully ascertian the reasons yet. Will wire up the other one and see if the same problem occurs.
- Almost purchased all componets for the DRD45. Some circuit design changes. But filled out with ASC X386S in the PSU, Caddock MK132 in the signal, Mundorf TubeCap for the Ultrapath, Electra-print irons.
- Starting out with Vinyl. Contemplating Project RPM5 turntable. Beginning to investigate DIY phono preamps.