Thursday 16 June 2011

More thoughts on the TU882R

Just having a lovely session with the TU882R and the HD650 right now. They WE396a tubes are in, and has been warmed up for over half an hour. Just a casual, easy listening session now, with Missy Higgins, Crowded House and Coldplay. A very nice way to end the day...

I am now trying the HD650 with the Medium impedance switch. The hum is now gone, and the amp is dead silent. According to the manual, this impedance setting is for 20 to 100 ohm headphones. However, I am trying to discern if there are any sonic differences between the two settings, apart from the hum. First impression is that the sound isn't as dynamic or lively. It is a little more laid back and somewhat 'lazy'. The bass isn't as well controlled or present either.

Well, after the recent experience with the WE tubes, I decided to order three more pairs of the 5670/396a from Brent at Audio Tubes. As usual, all my previous experiences with Brent has been excellent, and this time around, it was no different. He offered a good deal when I purchased three pairs; Western Electric 396a, WE made 396A for National and a British pair labelled 'National'. I have always had good experiences with British made tubes, the 12AE6A Brimars being a prime example, and thought that they could be a good counterpoint comparison with the others. Well, I hope to receive them in the next few weeks or so, and start to enjoy their different sonics.

As I am writing this, I am definitely preferring the high impedance tap, even though there is the hum in the background. It just mates so much better with the HD650. Well, more testing to come.

I have recently noticed that some of my music has very strong super stereo effect, where music is coming out of one side only. I do find this a little distracting at times, and started to look into placing a crossfeed. I installed with in my Mini Max Millett but never used it, cause it didn't sound right. On review of the setup, I think I might have wired it incorrectly. The next step is to remove it from the amp itself, and create myself a little stand alone box to house the crossfeed. This might make it easier to compare the effect and see whether it is right for me. Anyway, more to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment