Wednesday 6 April 2011

Beyma Coaxial 15XA38Nd and some Visaton Kits



Following on my experience last weekend at the audio shop, I decided that I needed another speaker. Have been looking at the Beyma range of speakers over the last few months, and the specifications seems to be generally impressive. I couldn't find a reliable source of supply in Australia, and following my previous post, I ordered a pair of the 15XA38Nd from Europe Audio the all inclusive price was around AU$1000 including FedEx delivery, which seems reasonable.

With this speaker, I plan to use a 1st or 2nd order passive crossover with a Zobel network on the tweeter to equalise the impedance. For the moment, I plan this to be as simple as possible, and will be mounting this in an open baffle box, which may become an Onken style box later. With different sensitivities between the 15" and the compression driver, I may need to introduce a L-pad to bring down the HF unit a little to match better. The Beyma datasheet shows a frequency response for the combined units, and appears to be relatively smooth. They also produce a special crossover just for this unit, which has a 1.5dB attenuation, and 2 inductors, 3 capacitors and 2 resistors. This arrangement seems to be similar what I am proposing, 2nd order with Zobel. They have crossed at 1800 Hz.



This now makes 5 speakers that are on the shelf, yet without a home! As always, it is much easier to buy it, then to build it... However, when I do finally get around to it, it will be fun times!
Also, looking around at speakers found this most interesting design from Visaton, the Pentaton kit. Using the very popular B200, mated with 4 cheaper BG20 speakers, it specs up at 99 dB sensitivity and flat from 70 Hz to 10 kHz. Interesting. Also stumbled on the beast, Grand Orgue, 81 dB, but FLAT from 25 Hz to 20 kHz. Crazy looking speaker too, especially with the Oval shaped drivers. Final kit of interest I found was the VIB 70 BP. 85 dB and flat from 40 Hz to 20 kHz.

Pentaton

Grand Orgue


No comments:

Post a Comment