Monday, 8 October 2007

From 300B to 45

After some weeks of research, dialogue and thinking, the 300B amp has been put on hold for the moment, to make way for a 45 DRD monoblocks. The main reasons behind this change is; lower operating B+ voltage and availability of quality new and NOS tubes (there are no NOS 300B easily available). To this effect, I have ordered the chokes and reactors from Electra-Print, and they arrived within a few weeks. In addition, I have started to place the other components on order. In the signal section, I am using Caddock MK132 resistors, Mills high wattage resistors, Ohmite adjustable rheostats, Blackgate NH driver cathode bypass, and Solen PPE Ultrapath. Tube sockets will be teflon type. In the PSU section, I will basically using the same design as Electra-print design. The diodes will be changed to hyper-fast diodes, the filter caps will change in value. At this moment, I am considering filter values in the range of 500uF to 1100uF. Apart from some minor changes in component specification, it is very similar to the schematic as provided by Electra-print. The irons will all be Electra-Print, except for the Power transformer, which may be sourced from another supplier. Though the change from a 300B to 45 reduces power significantly, from around 8W to 1.5W, I believe that tandem with a 95dB+ speaker, and given my listening room is a small room, I shouldn't be too concerned. Full schematic, photos and progress will be available shortly. About half the components have already arrived, so looking forward to completing all parts, ready for construction and audition!

No comments:

Post a Comment